Chapters and Journal Articles
- “What Makes Sex Beautiful? Marriage, Aesthetics, and the Image of God in Genesis 1–2 and Revelation 21–22,” in Beauty, Order, and Mystery: A Christian Vision of Human Sexuality (ed. Gerald Hiestand, Todd Wilson; Downers Grove; IVP Academic, 2017), 186-200.
- “Rest Now or Not Yet? Temporal Aspects of Social Identity in Hebrews 3:7-4:11,” in Listen, Understand, Obey: Essays on Hebrews in Honor of Gareth Lee Cockerill (ed. Caleb Friedeman; Eugene; Pickwick 2017), 37-53.
- “Toward an Eschatology of Hope: The Disappearance of the Sea in Revelation 21:1 and its Significance for the Church,” The Princeton Theological Review 44 (2011): 49-63.
- “Faith Comes from Hearing: The Scandal of Preaching in a Digital Age,” The Princeton Theological Review 43 (2010): 43-53.
- With Fredrick Long, “A Guide to Scholarly Advancement for Graduate and Postgraduate Students,” The Asbury Journal 63:2 (2008): 95-100 (reprinted with permission).
Preaching and Ministry
- “Preaching to Inspire Generosity,” Preaching, online edition (February 2016).
- “What is the Nature of Pastoral Authority?” 9Marks Journal (August/September 2016).
- “Pastors’ Forum: Are Denominations Worth It?” 9 Marks Journal (May/June 2013).
- “Evangelizing the Church,” Preaching 26:6 (May/June 2011): 22-24.
- “Five Things You Need to Know About Preaching Through the Books of Scripture,” Preaching 25:6 (May/June 2010): 20-22.
- “Gospel-Shaped Worship: Why I Love Liturgy More Every Day” at Seedbed
- “To Bless the Nations: Election in Biblical and Missional Perspective” at Seedbed
- “5 Ways to Preach the Whole Bible” at Seedbed
- “The Gospel & Dr. Gosnell: What Church Must Learn from Media Silence on Abortion Horrors” at Juicy Ecumenism
- “Three Things this Methodist Learned from Calvinists” at The Gospel Coalition
- “Practicing Freedom: A Lenten Reflection” at Seedbed
- “The Promise of Peace: Christmas in the Wake of Tragedy” at Seedbed
- “How to Read Revelation in Church” at Seedbed
- “A Perfect Translation? Reading Philippians like Wesleyans” at Seedbed
- “So What is Faith Anyway?” at Seedbed
- “Cry of Abandonment or Prayer of Faith? Reconsidering Jesus’ Final Words from the Cross” at Seedbed
United Methodist Church
- “United Methodists deserve more from Mefford, GBCS,” in The United Methodist Reporter (February 2, 2015)
- “How will United Methodists Respond to Gosnell Horror?” The United Methodist Reporter (May 3, 2013).
- “‘Sacred Worth’ Isn’t Enough for Ordination,” The United Methodist Reporter 158:38 (January 20, 2012): 5A.
- “Don’t Leave Clergy Vulnerable,” The United Methodist Reporter 157:47 (March 25, 2011): 7A.
- “Embracing Resurrection: Corinthian Social Identity in Temporal Perspective,” Evangelical Theological Society Southeast Regional Meeting, Birmingham, Alabama (March 20, 2014).
- “Did Paul Think he was Perfect? Christian Perfection and it’s Eschatological Framework in Philippians 3:15,” Wesleyan Theological Society Annual Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee (March 3, 2012).
- “Waiting for His Promised Coming: Eschatology and Ethics in Chain-Link in 2 Peter 3,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (November 21, 2010).
- “‘The Sea Is No More’: Evil, Exodus, and New Creation in Revelation 21:1c,” Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts (November 25, 2008).
Quotes, Citations, Interactions, etc.
- God at work before we know it: Prevenient grace by Joe Iovino
- By grace we are forgiven: Justifying grace by Joe Iovino
- God’s power over sin: Sanctifying grace by Joe Iovino
- Letter from Bishop John Guernsey, Mid-Atlantic Diocese, ACNA
- Seedbed Weekly Podcast, episode 9 (review begins at 22:15 mark)
- Seedbed Weekly Podcast, episode 7 (review begins at 10:10 mark)
- “The Debate Surrounding ‘A Way Forward’ from Adam Hamilton and Mike Slaughter” by Good News
- “Top Five Things I Learned from Matt O’Reilly” by Talbot Davis
- “Allowance Is Not Affirmation: Why ‘A Way Forward’ Might Be” by Drew McIntyre
- “Young clergy cite LGBT inclusivity among concerns,” by Clayton Childers
- “Christian Perfection, Early Church” by various contributors